Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Sparky Joined a Gym

Caterpillar, Caterpillar, how I adore thee and all the benefits that come with working for you. I purchased a year long membership today and though I had to put some money down, due to corporate reimbursements, said membership will eventually be free.

Now, the decision to join a gym is not one which must be made hastily. After a week of asking around the office, consulting with the wellness program coordinators, and making drive-bys, I set out after work to make my selection after having narrowed my choices down to three based on price, ammenities, and proximity to my home. And after checking out a few different facilities, I finally decided on....(drumroll)...

Landmark Recreation Center!

Now, this place is not your run of the mill gym, nor is it your average meat market. This place has a vibe very much like "Average Joe's Gym" in the movie Dodgeball. It was built in 1981 and you can sense it in the walls. Despite the age of the building, the facilities are great. There are a wide variety of classes offered and several different sporting courts in addition to a run/walk track and a women's weight room. The atmosphere is laid back and the staff is courteous and extremely helpful. Landmark has character.

Landmark also has Off Track Betting and a Bar. And a bowling alley, arcade, and a movie theater. My dream come true! A gym that serves alcohol and has an afternoon matinee of Star Wars. Brilliant!

Anyway, I'm going back tomorrow to start my first day of cardio work and then sometime next week, I'm meeting with a trainer (service included with membership) to get started on a fitness plan. As much as I joke about joining a "wet" gym, I'm actually there to get rid of the beer belly I put on in college, no add to it. Though I'm sure the day will come when after having played a hard game of basketball/volleyball or having kicked and punched my way through an intense workout, a beer and a ticket on one of the horses may sound mighty nice.

No comments: