Monday, June 05, 2006

Blueberry Beer Heals What Ales You

Last weekend, while in Bar Harbor, Maine, I sampled a bottle of "Bar Harbor Blueberry Ale." After placing my order, I anxiously awaited the arrival of my beverage. I like beer and I like blueberries. And if there was ever a blueberry country, it's probably in Maine beacuse they grow a ton of them up there. And they are good blueberries at that. While this regional ale was rather tasty - a bit sweet, slightly berry tinged...I just couldn't get into it. Overall, it was like any other ale; I could barely detect a hint of blueberry in the after taste. However, tonight at Old Chicago, the World Beer Tour took me back to Wisconsin, where I sampled another Blueberry Ale. It was so good that it I cannot exactly recall the name of this beverage. This ale had a smooth taste and was bursting with blueberry flavor that permeated all levels of taste. Blueberry flavor popped in my mouth as soon as the ale hit my tongue. While drinking it and immediately after, I got this sense of butteriness that was comforting and different. And after the swallow, I could taste that good ale flavor. It was like drinking a pie...but way better. It appears that Wisconsin once again out-beers Maine. Anyway, blueberry ales, give them a chance. They're good as a dessert beer.

No comments: