Thursday, July 06, 2006

Romance is Dead.

On the way to work this morning, I was rocking out to that "Promiscuous" song...the one by Nelly Furtado and Timbaland. Suddenly, I realized how much songs about pursuing a paramour have degraded over the past 30 years. We've gone from you look "Wonderful Tonight" and "Unforgettable" that's what you are to blah, blah, baby I wanna tap that and maybe call you tomorrow. Gone are the days of candy, flowers, and courting. These days it's all about wham, bam, up, leave, I'll call you when it's convenient for me. ...Did I just write the next great love song of the 2000s?

So comes the age old question - which came first? Was it the demise of romance or the songs illustrating it?

I'm going to blame the "pussification" of the American male. It all started there. It takes a lot of balls to be a real man. Real men will think freely and have original thoughts and go where their heart leads them, not follow the trends and feel like they have to score with a ton of chicks and treat them like objects to be men. Those aforementioned are boys...stupid, fearful ones at that. Problem is, the ladies have endured repeated trauma from said boys and have resorted to tactics like 'dating like men' as a coping method. My theory is that it doesn't work and it creates a destructive cycle that usually goes (on case-by-case basis) girl gets hurt, resolves to date like a man, becomes 'promiscuous girl' and meets 'promiscuous boy,' lather, rinse, repeat.

Where does it stop?

I'm sure I could further elaborate on this symptom of downfall of society, but rather than dwell on the bad, I'm going to roll over and get some beauty sleep in the event that I encounter true, handsome, gentleman tomorrow...a free thinker that utilizes that seldom remembered organ that below the neck but above the belt. A man of principle, respect, and intellect. Hopefully he won't be another wolf in disguise.


..."chivalry is dead, but you're still kind of cute" indeed.

No comments: