Monday, April 07, 2008

A HOT Topic

I've taken the ASM Course Heat Treatment of Steel in an effort to diversify the number of things I can do. It started with one of those "for fun" kind of things (yes, most girls knit for fun, I case harden) but now I'm seeing that this could help mah career, so that's added a new dimension to things. Regardless of the payoff, I'm glad I've taken this course, it's blowing my mind. The topic's just so far out and groovy.

On a side note, if I were ever to work as a heat treat engineer or in a related capacity, the temptation is there to make a tshirt that says "Heat Treaters make it Hard."

In other news (and Mr. Deez heard me kvetching about this today), sitting at the bar. Yes, I was completing my heat treat tests while drinking beer and watching the Cubs game at BW3 - anyway, I've come to the conclusion that technical tests with graphs, numbers, and drawings of crystal structures and furnaces is the 2nd best way to keep men away at a bar, the first best way being a baby (preferably a screaming one). There was a fellow sitting next to me working on the Chicago Tribune and New York Times crossword puzzles (who am I to judge, with my test taking and all) that was aloof to everything, except the bartendress saying something about birth control. He butted in with "I found out it doesn't always work 6 weeks ago when I got my girlfriend pregnant." I proceeded to scoot my chair 2 clicks to the left (that would be away from this person).

Other Monday notables - Change Master training at the bank building downtown. I'm having a good time with this and am excited about having the word MASTER on my resume. And since we're downtown, I get to eat out of the food carts. Anytime you can eat out of a box with chopsticks, the opportunity can't be missed. I also found 'cheap' gas on War and University for $3.29/gal. WTF at that being new cheap - I guess that's the new normal. That's a change that everyone opposes yet accepts - the perfect topic for discussion in Change Master training Day 2 tomorrow.

Second to last volleyball game was tonight and lost 0-3. The other team had a gal that played volleyball for Bradley University. Her spikes were scary until Brittany told me to pull down her shorts next time she jumped up at the net. It's been a long time since I've played against someone that hit the ball that hard.


Today's Count:

amt. beer consumed: 96 ounces
# aces and kills in vball: 3 and 2 (setting is fun, but I have to make opportunities to spike it)
# miles driven: 42 (the country is nice, but i miss living IN Peoria)
Memphis.chokeCount()++1;

No comments: