Sunday, October 31, 2004

Time Travel

Daylight Saving Time is officially now in effect. I get two 2am's today and fortunately, I have no right to wrong...I have no actual need to relive the hour in attempt to get it right. It is a shame that I only have the time between 2 am and...2 am to get a 'redo.' It'd be more practical to use it for any hour of the day I choose. I'm torn between using that hour to sleep more or alter things I've said. On one hand, that extra hour of sleep would be nice and with this being college, I should get it while I can. However, I'm sure that I've made as big of a fool of myself today as any day, but at least today I get the chance to be more suave about things. Then again, it could be argued that I'm inherently clumsy at social situations, so even during my 'redo,' I'd end up making a fool of myself. Oh well...I'll take any extra hour/chance I can get. The worst thing about this, though, is that there will be days where I will be at work before the sun is up and home after the sun goes down. If I want to continue my reveling after dark, I'd best invest in a flashlight.

The Amityville Horror

Katie and I commemorated this year's Halloween with pasta at Applebees, brownie cake, and a viwing of the 1979 thriller, "The Amityville Horror." Parts of the movie were creepy, but it really didn't bother me at all. However, the fact that this was based on a true story, means that I now have something to 'google' while up past my bed time. Thus, I now present Five Facts about Amityville Horror

1. George Lutz is an actual person. He's an ex-marine that lives in Pennsylvania.
2. Ronald Defeo, Jr., the man who murdered his family, is still alive and now resides in the Greenhaven Correctional Facility. He is serving six consecutive life sentences for killing his family.
3. The address of the Amityville house is 112 Ocean Avenue.
4. The Lutz's knew of the killings that had occurred in the house but had few reservations about it. The decision to purchase the home was made because Kathy Lutz's were not concerned with the events that took place at the house and that the prior events at the house did not seem to affect the children.
5. The Lutz's purchased the home for $80,000. (That's a lot of money for the late 1970s.)

You can read more about the Amityville haunting here.

It's an interesting movie, but I don't think I'd go as far to call it 'great' or even 'good' for that matter. James Brolin's hair/appearance was one of the most frightening things about the film and every time Margot Kidder shrieked, I expected her to then leap out the window, run down the street, and hide under her neighbor's car. If you frighten easily, this movie will bother you, if you don't frighten easily, it'll just give you the creeps instead. And if you're like me (big nerd), you'll find yourself reading on the actual events that inspired this film after the credits roll.


No comments: