Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Waiting...

By now, I could go pro as a waiter...being one who just waits-not one who serves food.

I spend most of my days waiting. I wait for the weekend to come so I can have fun and hang out. I wait for my time at work to end on slow days. I wait for slow classes to end. I wait until I have arrived at my destination when driving to and from Murray or anywhere else I go. I'm waiting for winter break to end so I can once again feel the sensation of forward motion. I wait in front of the computer. I wait for people.

Of course, great things can be accomplished by waiting. Take the British, for example. I feel a large part of their success in the war effort back in WWII was the ability of the people to wait things out. Keeping a firm upper lip and going on with life, waiting for it all to end, hoping they'd still be there to see the return of better days. So, in short, it's not entirely bad to wait.

But when I find myself pacing the house at night, waiting for the sun to rise, I realize it's time to find a new past time. I don't know why I've developed since an aversion to the night. I used to love it when the sun went down because that's when the wind usually calms and suddenly it's more mild and I could go outside without sunscreen. I could do things by the cover of nightfall. I think I could actually be nocturnal if lifestyle allowed. I think it's the loneliness that gets to me. Everyone else is dead to the world, but I'm still very much awake. It feels like being the only person on Earth.

No comments: