Sunday, May 07, 2006

AWOL

I haven't stepped foot in my apartment since Friday morning when I left for work.

While walking out of work on Friday, I decided to call my parents because well, let's face it - talking to parents make everything better. We decided to meet in Lincoln for dinner, the second night in a row - what a treat. A huge plate of green beans and biscuits at CrackerBarrell and a spin around town later and I decided to eschew typical Cinco de Mayo festivities for an impromptu trip to Springfield. So I made a weekend of it and didn't even pack a bag.

Yesterday morning I was wandering around Dick's Sporting Goods getting some balls and other assorted items so I could play some impromtu golf on my impromtu trip. Of course I had my clubs with me - they're a permanent fixture in my car just in case I get the urge to play. But yeah, I had no clothes, so I went digging through the closet and ended up wearing a bubble gum pink shirt and a pair of mom-jeans. I adore mom jeans because they're so comfortable and for that way they give even the FUPA-less a FUPA. And did I mention the white sunglasses I was sporting. If Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen's street urchin sunglasses mated with Kanye West's bling sunglasses, this pair would be the unholy offspring.

Spent the weekend just hanging out - visiting with parents, watching tv and reading magazines, playing golf. I applied sunscreen everywhere except my left earlobe, which is now bright red. I look perpetually embarassed. Hit 3 over par on the 4th hole today though. And had as much fun driving the golf cart around as I did actually playing.

Returned to Peoria around 9 this evening, just in time for Grey's Anatomy. Meredith's "you broke it" speech to McDreamy had resonance. It was eloquent and truthful and a lot better than anything I muster. I feel very Meredith Grey some days. But (as I tell myself every Sunday night) it's all going to change...someday.

Out of work for 1.5 days this week - surgery on Tuesday. I'm excited though. I will absolutely, 100% be free of any form (pre-post-etc) of cancer. Don't get me wrong - I'm not happy about being poked and prodded on, but I'm jazzed about a healthy body.

No comments: