Sunday, May 07, 2006

Selling the Lifestyle

I went into a Hollister for the first time this weekend. The vibe of the store is pretty cool, though I'd love to place a Quest (shameless endorsement of product) Dosimeter in one to see what the TWA for noise level exposure is. The thumping music was pretty rad, but I'm pretty sure they're out of compliance for noise exposure.

In addition to high prices and small sizes, I did notice that like Hot Topic and other stores, Hollister carries a wide array of magazines, cds and other accessories to accent the lifestyle promoted by the store. When did stores start selling the lifestyles to go along with the clothing? Fashion is ceasing to be a statement, but rather now a way of life. Does what we wear make us who we are?

And furthermore, if I decide to embrace the Hollister lifestyle and take up surfing, just where will I go to do it? ...in Illinois.

No comments: