Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Refreshingly Cold

My day in review:

Woke up at 5:45, turned off one alarm, turned on tv, sat down on bed and fell asleep until 7:04. Though I have no official hours, work starts at 8. As I'm driving into work at 5 'til 8, I see Nicole, who points and laughs. I feign distress, throwing my head back and a forearm over my forehead, all while operating a motor vehicle.

Meetings. Meetings. Meeting preparation.

Lunch. It was pizza day. Work is a lot like college in that everyone gets excited over the themed food days in the cafeteria. I sat with the girls and at one point we all turned around and stared at one of the engineers behind us at the cash register. I suggested we pass him a note during study hall. We discussed the social awkwardness of our coworkers and then traded notes on how to react to the building "boob lookers."

Monthly take cover drill. I'm starting to enjoy the emergency drills if nothing else, for the sheer joy of throwing a wrench in other peoples' afternoon plans. Cari was right, I am "becoming evil."

Two more meetings. I looked at someone's chair and decided to not even try to fix it, instead opting to have it replaced with a new one. ...Must remember to follow up on that next week. "Hey, how's that new chair working out for you?" I hung out in other people's cubicles and watched them have too much fun with a pair of ear plugs, fashioning them into a noose, then a headpiece (with antennae), and finally a headband, complete with a "Lord of the Dance" type in-chair gyration. Then we laughed at the engineering pit across the hall and how we could hear them laughing and yelling "BULLSHIT." It was even funnier when the lifer in the adjacent desk turns around and said "What are they smoking?" I returned to my desk and tinkered with intra-office instant messanger and then turned around and noticed that someone had drawn a picture of Yoda on my markerboard.

Left work. Wallored in self pity for 15 minutes. Cheered up. Dumped uncooked spaghetti all over my feet. Decided to eat the other part of that Bennigan's Monte Cristo sammich...a quick note about this sammich: Ham, Turkey, Cheese. Sounds normal so far, right? Deep fried - the whole damn thing. Then coated in powdered sugar and served up with a cup of raspberry jam. Who in the world thought of this? I consider that one of those 'experience foods.' You've experienced them and then you order something new off the menu.

Trip to the mall for a mani-pedi. Had a stand in for my usual nail lady. I left there wearing flip flops with my pant legs rolled up to my knees. My usual nail lady once scurried outside to stop me as I headed out with pant legs still rolled. This guy was kind of like...fend for yourself. So I walked the quarter mile or so to my car, the freezing temperatures stinging my bare legs. I could have been irritated, but instead decided that I'd consider the cold to be refreshing.

But that's just me...I try to find the benefit/good in everything.

Three days down. Two left to go.

No comments: