Monday, December 05, 2005

Shallow Thoughts

When driving for hours and hours, it's easy to let the mind wander. It'd easier to think in a random string of consciousness than think about how little there on I-57 and that it's just crazy there are actually 70 miles between Mattoon and Champaign. (Hence the reason for meandering through country roads this afternoon...had seen more of 57 than I could bear.)

So here it is folks, a sampling (n=10) of things that I've realized/thought about today:

1. I've had a magazine subscription for 12 years.
2. Chicken rings from White Castle are way better than Chicken Fries from Burger King.
3. Someone keeps erroneously sending me email inviting me to go do things. I've pointed this out to the sender a few times, but I keep getting the email. I don't know a "Lauren" from a pro-life group at Notre Dame. And though I'm sure she's lovely, I don't really want to go have coffee.
4. I left the rest of that spaghetti in Katie's fridge. When I put meat in it, I like mine better.
5. It sucks that all the sororities have to go through mandatory hazing awareness training when it's been quasi-common knowledge for years which ones partake in questionable activities while the rest play by the rules.
6. 33 degrees feels colder than 8, though humidity may play a role.
7. There may be no such thing as a "good" Applebees in Springfield, Illinois. And there's no good way to get across town either.
8. What the hell does it mean when someone tells you to "take care of yourself?"
9. Having a flame-thrower would be pretty cool.
10. A sure-fire sign I need to find some culture around here: I made a mental note to go check out a western supply store next time I'm passing through Tower Hill. Why do I even care where Tower Hill is located and what has happened to me that makes me want to hang out at places like Rural King.
11. Chuck Norris doesn't sleep. He waits. This kills me.
12. Everytime I drive through Franklin County, Illinois, I think of that episode of The X-Files ("Home") and the Peacock family. *shudder*
13. There is no proper response for people trying to open the bathroom stall you're occupying. Today while stopped in aforementioned deliverance country, I started to open an occupied stall. This raised two questions: 1) What is the etiquette for such a situation and 2) Who the hell uses a public restroom without locking the door.
14. Yo Butt Aint Made Fo That (blatent link theft, nsfw, wickedly funny)


Mens Rooms Used This Month: 2
Beers: 8
Trips to the Gym: 0
Outbreaks of Nail Chewing: 1

No comments: