Sunday, April 09, 2006

All Hail the Open Road

This weekend I road tripped down to see the folks and participate in Trivia Night to raise money for the school. Our table won 3rd place, and we gave the prize money back to the school. The people that won 2nd and 1st, however, did not (boo!). Call me righteous, but I think that if you participate in a fundraising event and win, you should give the money back to the cause. Of course, the money went toward bettering my mother's school so you can see my bias on this issue, but I think regardless, I'd still feel the same.

Although it's only about a 90 mile drive, a lot can happen on the open road. This evening, I actually got to experience a "what if" situation I had once spent some time pondering...

So I'm driving up I-55 and I see something drop in front of the radio. I turned my head to get a better visual confirmation - something better than a glance out of the corner of my eye. And there it was... a brown spider! Oh no of nos, what do I do. It was still on the console, crawling over my badge, coins, and assortment of lip glosses (Cargo Kalamazoo, Nars Orgasm, American Beauty Watermelon Crush). I break out in a cold sweat, wondering what I do when it jumps over on me and brandishes its gigantor fangs. Traffic was a bit dense and quick moving, so I pushed the spider out of my mind for a few minutes as to get away from the lumber truck in front of me. And then I couldn't see the spider anymore. So I spent the rest of the trip back to Peoria periodically slapping myself in attempt to get the imaginary spider. A little while later, after arriving back at my abode, I saw a spider (same one? I don't know, they all look alike) and killed it. There - piece of mind.

This afternoon I also became reaquainted with the Reverend Horton Heat. Digging through the console, I came across my copy of Holy Roller, the 1999 compilation of songs on both record labels the band's been on. My favorite tracks include "Wiggle Stick," "Where the Hell Did You Go With My Toothbrush?," "One Time for Me," and a nifty cover of "Folsom Prison Blues." If you like good, dirty rock and roll, check out this cd. But listen to it with the car on cruise control, this is drive-fast-music.

No comments: