Thursday, April 06, 2006

Changing Tastes

In the movie "Runaway Bride," there is this running question of how Julia Robert's character likes her eggs...and the answer is always that she likes them the same way of the man she's engaged to. Ultimately it's revealed that the reason for this is because she doesn't really know who is she or what she's like. The way one likes (or dislikes) their eggs must be indicative of one's sense of self?

I think this is true for beers. A person has their beer. But then they meet someone else and start drinking the same beer of the SO. It could be constant drinking of this beer, social drinking of this beer. It's justified, saying things like "well, I've always liked this, but had forgotten about it," and "it was cheap beer on special." Would said beer even have been given the time of day if it hadn't been for the influence of the other person?

I will admit to having fallen victim to this form of mimicking...choking down several watery bottles of Coors Light. However, I just couldn't do it. It's not who I am. Or is it that I'm just resistant to being changed by relationships? But this can't be true as every relationship changes us. Regardless of it ending happily ever after or going down in a flaming spiral, once we decide to love someone, date someone, exist in someone's sphere of influence, we're forever changed. (This goes along with my asertment that love is indeed a true chemical reaction.) Our world is opened up to new and exciting beers. We broaden our horizons. We strengthen our resolve to only drink real beer.

So if all of the aforementioned is an indication of who we are, then analyze this: I like Budweiser. Not Bud Light. Budweiser. And I love a good Guiness. In a pint glass. And my eggs, nothing less than over easy.

No comments: