Monday, March 20, 2006

Chasing Windmills

I went looking for this on Saturday.

Katie and I hopped in the Canyonero 2.0 and took off up a country road in search of fun, adventure, and racetracks. Fourteen hours later we returned with road stories, cheesecake, and photographs. But alas, no momentos from the racetrack because we couldn't find it. Three hours driving around Kane, McHenry, and Cook County...no luck.

But we did find windmills. Lots of them.

There are a couple of wind farms in the counties north of here. I haven't seen such a sight since the last time I was out in California to visit my aunt. Unlike the ones out there, it's possible to get really close to the ones here. They're almost creepy looking up close. Tall, sterile, made of steel...Katie wondered what would happen if the windmill field were hit by a tornado. I tried to explain how they generate energy, but I realized mid-explanation that I couldn't recall all of the intracacies of how they function.

After having driven around for a few hours trying to find the track, Katie made mention of the windmills and how driving around looking for something that likely wasn't there was like "chasing windmills." Except we actually found windmills. And like Quixote, I had Katie, as my Sancho Panza verbally expressing doubts of my sanity over being so tenacious about searching for something. But couldn't it be considered admirable to never give up? Or like (as lately it seems) most things in my life, am I merely trying in vain to wish my little heart out for something that's just not there.

...I'm going to go look for that track again...

No comments: