Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Wicked Wednesday

This morning, I woke up to an unusually bright bedroom and feeling very odd about an evening of vivid and lurid dreams just experienced. I won't go into too much detail about it, but all experienced in dreamland was an amalgum of retail, bear fights, and other sensations. Upon first waking, I was thinking of the ocean but soon realized that the sound of running water was actually my private bath toilet running wild. Call Father Marin - we need an exorcism.

Actually, part of the flushing mechanism is going out and water is being pulled down because there's not a good seal. One of these days, I'll stop trying to fix it myself and call the maintenance person. Until then, I try to make it stop and have actually shouted at the toilet to "shut up!" This is even more futile and ridiculous than that time a frog got into my apartment and I opened the front door and shouted at it to "get out of my house!" while pointing at the door. The frog just looked at me like "yo, I'm a frog, this is funny."

Two more days of work...and this afternoon, I made five different slide shows. I'm almost as tired of powerpoint as I am of hearing myself speak. Sometimes I want to splice in questionable pictures and sayings (Only safety glasses can protect you from a Chuck Norris roundhouse kick to the face!) for the slideshows that other people will be using but don't actually look at before presenting. However, I never get tired of coloring my opinon of the science of beating the odds with offbeat and grim anecdotes. Or trading stories about people getting shot in the eyes with lasers. Or talking about killing critters with gardening tools, smoking out groundhogs...

I had an engineer approach me and tell me that he had a safety issue because there was a mouse in the console room.

"There's a mouse in the console room."
"Well did you kill it?"
"No."
"Did you catch it?"
"..."
"You want me to go down there and get it for you? Just give me a minute and I'll be down there with a broom."
"Um...can I put in a Safety Observation."
"Just put in a Safety Work Order. Call WGI helpdesk and tell them you need someone to get rid of a mouse for you."
"What if it chews through my wires?"
"That's why you call someone to get rid of it for you."

I'll admit - it would have been funny to have gone after a mouse with a broom. It would be akin to that time with the consulting firm when we had wasps in the financial office and I had to go in after them with a can of bug spray and a fly swatter. And after the wasps had been terminated, I had to climb under a desk to retrieve the bodies because the boss wouldn't be satisfied until she saw the dead wasp bodies.

After work, I went home with every intention of working out, but cereal and America's Next Top Model got the best of me. Veronica Mars isn't too bad of a show either. Kristen Bell is pretty hot too, but I read in Maxim that she has a "wonky" eye and she's also a Detroit Red Wings fan...not too sure we can work with that. Did some mild tidying to the house and pen and ink drawing before taking out the trash and breathing in the soy-corn-fermentation scented air (it smells like beer. a lot) and sitting in my car. I just sat out in the parking lot in my car for a good five minutes, enjoying the new car smell still retained and the cold night air. It's been months since I've had such an enjoyable time just chilling out in a car. No radio, no company, no nothing. Just me and the cool night air. And then one of the best songs ever, Sophie B. Hawkin's "Damn, Wish I was Your Lover" as I pulled into the garage. Bills for the mail in the front passenger seat, new bottle of water ready for tomorrow's commute, an old favorite mix cd queued up in the dash...I think I'm ready to face one more day.

No comments: