Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Last Stand at Murray

Just when I thought it was safe to turn off the computer and head off into the sunset...I discovered that I'm going to need to move my apartment hunting excursion up a day. Therefore, here I am - in the shambles that used to be my quasi-organized apartment, borrowing my neighbor's internet and making more phone calls. So, of course, I guess I'll take these few minutes waiting for returned calls to make my final entry from only true 'hometown' I've ever had...Murray, Kentucky.

Hometown is defined as the place where one was born or grew up; the primary place of residence (thanks m-w.com). While I'm certainly "not from 'round here are ye?" I have found that this is indeed the place where I grew up and became the person that I am today. Granted, many of you will argue that I'm probably very much the same person (hopefully actually worthy of your adjectives like hilarious, caring, and genuine - thank you all)... but my entire world view has been altered by being around some of the greatest people I've ever known.

Things I've learned from the collective 'you:'
-To always look for the good in humanity because it is indeed out there. And if I can't immediately find it, go make some of my own.
-There's nothing that can't be fixed with a healthy dose of tequila and mexiranch. If that doesn't work, go buy new underwear. Nothing brings a smile to the face like some new 'whites.'
-There are in fact people who will be there at a moment's notice, regardless of how silly the reason. Whether it be for moral support after a disagreement with the parents or a ride home after a night at the Apple, there are people who will be there no matter what.
-It's worth the time and effort into a place to get the dividends in return. If that doesn't work, invest elsewhere.
-No matter how 'dorky' or 'nerdy' or 'geeky' or 'off center' your interests/talents/passions are, go with it and never be afraid or who you are or aspire to be...there will always be people out there who will love you anyway. And if not, there will always be people even nerdier than you.

As I venture off to Peoria, I leave knowing my three years here haven't been in vain. Well, obviously they haven't because I'm leaving with a BS in Chemistry and a MS in OSH and walking into a position with the word 'senior' in the title at age 24. However, I'm not leaving just knowing how to be a chemist or just how to be an industrial hygienist. I leave here knowing how to tie a toga, do a keg stand, clean up vomit (and not harf while doing it), design and order tshirts, corral 80 women at a time (no small feat), play UT and not get (as) motion sick, set up rudimentary networks, edit video, usher in the Apocolypse, cut someone's hair (at Log Cabin), hide apartment damage as to get the deposit (spackle and Revlon eyeshadow), wear a Level A suit and deal with HazMat situations, storm spot, wrangle small animals, perform minor surgery, and quote Lebowski with the best of them. I've rubbed elbows (and clinked glasses) with Kentucky Department of Labor people. I've been part of organizations given awards for being the best in the country. I've helped take a greek organization on the verge of closing and bring membership numbers close to capacity ('total' for those in the know). I know that if in the next three years, I can do and experience even near as much as I have here, I'll be truly blessed.

So, as I prepare to finish packing and head off to the Land of Lincoln, let me leave you with this message: Life's not going to the be the same without you. I will be keeping in touch. I love you all. Oh, and you've not heard the last of me!



[/close chapter. begin writing new one...]

No comments: