Thursday, October 27, 2005

Latent Anger and Letting it Go

Student told his Master that he was so angry with one who had slighted him and was amazed at his difficulty in letting go. It wasn't so much that he couldn't cease to be angry, but rather he didn't see the point in forgiveness. Master told him that he'd teach him the importance of letting go of old slights. "Go to the garden and get potatoes - one for each person that has wronged you. Bring them to me and our lesson will start," Master told his student. Student returned to him with 20 potatoes and took a seat. Handing him a burlap bag, Master instructed student to carve the name of each person he was angry with into each potato. "Place each potato in this sack and take it with you where you travel. By the week's end, you will know the importance of learning to forgive."

At week's end, student was in agony with the stench of the rotting potatoes in his bag. He asked his Master if he could rid himself of the burden of the bag. "Tell me the reason it's important to forgive, student, and you can cease to carry the bag." "Master, when I don't forgive others and release my anger, it rots and festers inside me. I carry it with me and the burden of having it becomes repulsive to those around me. It doesn't affect those that wronged me, but carrying all of this around hurts me."

...I think about this story at least twice a week. I've let go of my potatoes, but some days, I can still smell the stink on my hands.

No comments: