Thursday, October 27, 2005

Public Speaking Training

Work has enrolled me in Powerful Presentations, a course to turn me into the hoss of the public speaking ponderosa. I, a former Speech Team nerd, am having the time of my life. I'll write a more detailed account of my (mis)adventures in this class after I've finished the course and received more sleep. Some highlights of the week thus far:

I've figured out how to make something like those oriental salads from Wendy's: spinach, teriyaki chicken skewers, marzetti asian ginger dressing, mandarin oranges, almond slivers

Yesterday I was volunteering at the "Every Day is Earth Day" Conservation Program for area third graders. Little kids like me. A lot. It's pretty cool. I lost a school though - a whole school. Turns out they snuck off. I did get to high-five a Riverman hockey player while walking around the civic center. He had no teeth; it was awesome!

In Powerful Presentations class (or PP class, as I like to call it), the two engineers sitting next to me are hilarious. Part of it is the nerdy remarks they make. The other is that one looks like Peter Gibbons and the other looks like Michael Bolton. If you don't know who they are, watch Office Space, stat. So "Peter" will mention that he has a wife and then start to laugh giddily. "Michael" talks about staying up too late playing halo and how he needs a car to 'soup up' so he can 'get chicks.' I told them my engineer joke and they finished the punchline and high fived.

I bought the cadillac of flat irons this week and got a bunch of extra goodies. I forsee many days of smooth and sleek hair in my future.

No comments: