Friday, October 07, 2005

Road Call

I'm going to need someone to call in a week...

I don't mean just someone to call up and say hello to. I'm talking someone that I can call at a frequency that's somewhere between periodic and routinely. I need someone to spill my soul to over a pay phone after a drink or five at a hotel bar in Columbus, Ohio. It'll be part of the process of figuring out the answer to the eternal question...what now?

There is this (romantic?) notion that I have about my impending road trip throughout the midwest and midsouth and other mid-portions of the country. Thinking about the week after this trip, I anticipate not having everything figure out, but being closer as the strange revelation of the week was: I have no idea what I want. Professionally. Personally. Spiritually. I just don't know.

So maybe - just maybe - hopping in a car and driving around...for the cost of some ridiculously expensive gas I can purchase some peace of mind and find that by meandering around I can rediscover a place in this world. All while having someone to call "home" to and let them know what I find. Home being a state of mind, having skepticism of the ability of it to be an actual place with any sense of permanence.

This vague feeling of being lost came to me Sunday afternoon while staring out a window...over foggy treetops and landscape dotted by steeples of churches, glistening as they caught the late afternoon sun. Funny how all it takes is a glimpse of home to make one realize how lost they really are.

I just hope that somewhere in those 1400 miles I can find a some new place to call my own.

No comments: