Sunday, May 09, 2004

All about Louisville

For those who want to know, here's how the convention went, broken down by day.

Tuesday

Left sometime around 10:30 for my brave journey across the state on ye ole WKY. Highlights of that included: seeing that Arby's in the median somewhere around Beaver Dam, seeing a sign that said Beaver Dam, stopping at an Exon (was it?) at the Leitchfield exit and asking the lady behind the counter which area code it was in and then visiting with her for about 5 minutes, the joy in realizing that I had cellular service once again, and actually making it to my destination on the first attempt (yay for being able to follow driving directions).

The Galt House was quite awesome. My room was on the 10th floor and had a stunning view of the Ohio River and a power substation. Awesome that it had two closets because I was rooming with someone I didn't know very well, so we had our own dressing areas: mine in the bedroom and hers in the tv room (yay for suites). There was still much renovation being done, so I really hope I get to go back next year to see the end result of the construction. Did I mention the Kentucky Safety and Health Network and the Kentucky Department of Labor picked up the room tab, meals, activities, and the majority of my drinks?

Tuesday evening was for student facilitator orientation and partying up and down the Ohio on the Belle of Louisville. Four hours, a bunch of rum runners (thank you KSHN President and other people who helped keep my cup full) and wine, and several plates of shrimp later, we were back on land and walking to Stevie Rays where I gave and received phone numbers (gave to friends and associates male and female,those who wonder) and drank amaretto sours until it was time to go...to PT's, where I got a dance from Sabrina and bonded with my safety friends.

Actually, this is turning into a novel, so installment two will be made sometime tomorrow. I have to go to bed now.

No comments: