Tuesday, May 04, 2004

The Governor's Conference

Today I bravely venture to the 16th largest city in the US to spread the goodwill of Murray State's Occupational Safety and Health Department...

This will be my first trip to Louisville. It's pretty cool that driving into a strange (as in foreign) city is exciting and not nervewracking. I've heard the people there drive like madmen, but then again, being from the St. Louis area and having worked in the city (as we rural county folk say), I'm used to seeing all sorts of bad driving. Some of my favorite St. Louis rules for driving are as follows: 1) don't use a turn signal. ever. 2) if you're in the far left lane on an 8 lane highway and you need to exit, just cut across all the lanes at the last minute-remember kids, TURN SIGNALS ARE OPTIONAL. 3) if someone cuts you off in traffic or annoys you, pull out a gat and accost them with it. if you don't have a gat, shake your fist and scream...then use your car as a weapon. 4) this one isn't so much a rule as general good advice: stay off presidentially named streets...actually, i've noticed that's good advice for most cities.

So my plan is this...3 nights on the state at the Galt House which I've heard is really nice. Meals? Covered. Activities? Planned. My safety peers? There. Time away from Murray? Indeed.

I'm actually really looking forward to the drive. Four hours in a car, warbling along with the radio will do wonders to clear my head and help me relax from a tough semester...which brings me to another random bit of advice: Don't take 15 hours of graduate work. Most things from this semester...I'd do them all again...except for that 15th hour.

So with that, all those that have finals, good luck. All those leaving for the summer, travel safely and try to stay sane at home. Wish me luck, I'm off to go network...and have fun.

No comments: