Sunday, May 23, 2004

Play-Dough...Oh the Possibilities

The other day while going through some plug and patch kits, I ran across some cans of play dough (which are used for training exercises) and was overtaken by the urge to play with it. Being the only person in the office and experiencing a slow afternoon, I took my chance and spent the next 5-10 minutes quickly and skillfully sculpting a human head out of the funny-smelling blue mound of dough. My finished result bore a strong resemblance to George Washington which is odd considering when I first started kneading the dough, I had a picture of a kitty cat in my head. Founding father...kitty cat...it's amazing how ideas can evolve within a matter of minutes.

I guess that's what I like so much about play dough and clay and other things you can knead and sculpt and use to create whatever the mind can fathom. When you have a clump of some sort of molding compound...that's not a toy in front of you, that's possibilities. Taking what you have and making it into whatever you want it to be. That's often how life is. You have to take what you have in front of you and figure out how you're going to craft it into what is the most satisfying end result. And I love that. I'm in love with possibilities.

Possibilities are infinite and multidimensional. A challenge. Possibility is changing courses mid-journey (and ideally, without consquence). Or are the possibilities so enticing because you don't actually know how the end result will be and it's the mystery of it all that makes the sale. It's the mystery and the curiousity of how things could/would/should...which could probably end up falling into that "grass is always greener..." mentality. Is that possibility over there newer, fresher, and sexier than the one I've been exploring right here.

Of course, possibilities have a dark side. I could rob a bank to fund my need for adventure and material things. I could try to start something on the side with that intriguing (for the record, I'll forever loathe this word but am using it for a lack of a better one) fellow over there. I could kick that annoying person in the teeth. But when considering the possibilities, feasability and reality must be consdidered as well. And the fact of the matter is, I'd get caught robbing that bank, I'm not his type, and I'm likely useless in a fight. So, for today at least (and before I actually type the words "Life is like a Ball of Playdough"), I'll explore the simple possibilities...like cleaning my room, finishing my internship, and deciding where to spend my last year in Murray. But before I do that...I'm going to sculpt another shrunken head.

No comments: