Thursday, March 25, 2004

Aloha from the OSH computer lab

Just another stop in the procrastination express...I need to study this afternoon, hence the reason for staying on campus. However, I've noticed that there's no one else in here right now, so I can post about my mis-adventures in relative privacy.
...and of course, some dude just walked in, so now I'll be all paranoid that he's trying to read what I'm typing, which is odd because I'm updating my public blog...

Still Tired from Yesterday

Yesterday == long, yet extremely productive day. Reported to work at 4:15 in the morning, was in Tennessee performing respirator fit tests by 6:00, back in Murray at 11 for an office lunch and working on a few projects, snuck in a 45 minute nap around 1, in school from 2-4:30 and then to a meeting and then a seminar until 8:30, grabbed a mickey d's dinner and watched the Chapelle Show and was passed out on the couch by 10:15. One of these days, I'll actually go to bed and not sleep on the couch, thus proving to the world that when home, I do something other than sleep on the couch.

Crime Scene Investigation

Last night's seminar featured some folks from the Kentucky State Police and their profiles of different cases they had worked on. Best story by far: Officer responds to incident at Marshall County home and when he gets there, the guy that called was all "That guy had sex with my daaaaawg" The responding officer says he thought the man called beacuse the drunk fellow stumbling around the property had had sex with his daaaaagtah instead, so he asked where his daughter was. The man was all, "not my dauuuugtah, mah daawg!" and pointed to the 80lb pitbull on the porch. So the officer asked the drunk fellow if he did, in fact, have sex with this man's dog and they guy was like "Yes I did!" so he had to be taken into custody. Long story short, they ended up calling all around to find a vet that would perform a rape kit exam on this dog and sure enough, the tests came back positive for semen. They ended up charging the guy with (either first or second) degree Animal Cruelty. All investigators in attendance swore it was a true story. Somehow, this redeemed the first hour of that seminar.

Computer Lab Update

dude left, I can once again type in privacy

Becoming an Effective Safety Professional

Yesterday's experiences were invaluble because even though the extent of my duties was paper work and an initial fit test, I learned more about the most important aspect of it all: The Human Factor

And thankfully, I think I handled all of it with flying colors. All of this included people that weren't happy about coming in on their day off for the test, people with enthusiastic advice on how to do the job better, people that didn't want to be tested, people that had never been tested before, handling a sudden surge of people and having limited supplies on hand, and I'm pretty sure that I was hit on. Important things learned: pleasant demeanor and humor can help in situations both good and bad. Preparation for equipment failure/lack of forms can help get past these problems smoothly. Confidence counts, especially when you're having to tell people twice your age where to go and what to do. And no matter what, always smile and thank them for their time.

No comments: