Tuesday, March 16, 2004

The Weekend of Wrestling



Old School Wrestling

Somewhere between the 6 man tag match and the spectacular shooting star press (but way before the two guys started duking it out in the audience), I decided that OSW (Old School Wrestling to the uninitiated) is a quality, quality way to spend an evening. And this awesome match, ladies and gents, was absolutely free. I will definitely be going again in the near future and if you can, I encourage you to go with me. Dare I say it, but OSW was more exciting than...

WRESTLEMANIA!!!

After 20 years of seeing the promos on tv and wanting to watch it, I finally got to watch Wrestlemania. Wrestling and me go way back, you see. I fondly recall staying up late on Saturday nights to eat vienna sausage, cereal, and other horrible, horrible (but still yummy) bachelor food with Dad and watch good 'ol WWF (darn you wildlife folks for taking away the F!!!). Let's break down the evening using the highlights and lowlights system:

Highlight: Benoit Wins Title. It's about time and what can I say, I can't help but root for the kid.

Lowlight: Brock Lesner vs Goldberg. Two very large men circle each other for about 5 minutes. Goldberg spears and pins and then Steve Austin kicks everyone's rear before shotgunning beer....which brings us to the next...

Highlight: Someone is tossing beers to Austin and he's catching them and drinking them, eh...well, he misses one and gets busted in the lip with the can. Pretty sure that one drew blood.

Lowlight: Evolution beats the Rock and Sock connection. Randy Orton is a punk and Mick Foley makes Bittel look Amish. Not digging the Rock's full breast/shoulder/short sleeve tattoo or new goatee. Mick Foley IS the soul of hardcore wrestling and to be taken down on a cheap pin at the "SuperBowl of Wrestling" is quite sad. Then again, no one said this year's superbowl was that great.

Highlight: Ultimate Dragon nearly falling down making his entrance. The second "greatest" entrance ever, second only to the Shockmaster crashing through the wall and having his storm trooper helmut bounce all over the place. U.D. also had some trouble standing on the ropes to fire up the crowd. Tapped out early-just generally a bad night for him.

Lowlight/Highlight: The Title Triple Threat match between Benoit, Shawn Micheals, and Triple H. It didn't quite redeem the entire show, but it was incredibly entertaining and great to watch Benoit win. Shawn Micheals and Triple H both had their heads "busted open" (bladed) for a spectacular shower of blood. It was incredibly gruesome and watching that, I couldn't help but wonder what the WWE's policy is on bloodborne pathogens.

Highlight: Spending the evening with some cool guys watching WRESTLEMANIA!!! Slowly but surely, I'm getting to do everything I said I'd do as a kid, and it's a great feeling.

Sick

Today has been harfy, literally. In fact, I could harf at any moment right now. I'm officially on a code red harf-warning.

Define Irony: My Office Chair

My chair at work has made my back hurt something awful...and I work in a Safety Consulting Firm...

No comments: