Monday, February 16, 2004

Catching up with the Rest of the World

Murray, KY is catching up with modern times. This weekend, a guy killed his girlfriend and hid her body under a bed. Everyone is shocked, but I'm just having flashbacks to when this same thing happened in Carbondale, behind my apartment complex. Some guy just went nuts and cut his girlfriend's throat, nearly decapitating her. This is what happens in the real world...people go crazy and kill their significant others. When the shock wears off, you just thank your lucky stars that the people you love haven't harmed you. With Murray being a smaller campus, it's especially shocking because here, pretty much everybody knows everybody.

Last week, someone was hit by a car. Apparently, they are going to be okay, but once again, another incident which made me think back to the Carbondale days, where at least one person was hit by a car every other week. This includes that time when I saw a girl on bicycle hit and die on the sidewalk.

The Murray Place-Lewis Park Connection... Lewis Park used to be a brand new, sparkling, awesome apartment complex, set up much like Murray Place is. My Mom lived there in the 70s and it was awesome. However, something changed over the years and Lewis Park went from being a nice place to live with lots of ammenities to a place where drugs are exchanged, wild and violent parties are thrown, and people are assaulted in their homes. When I see the trash fall from the sky (people tossing their beer cans and vomit from the balconies), watch the cops pull up out front, and hear of incidents that take place on the property (stalkers, kicked in doors, drunken intruders), I can't help but shudder and fear that all of this will some day go the way of Lewis Park. Maybe I'm getting old and thus less resilient to this place. Maybe the building I lived in last year was sparsely populated enough that nothing too terribly exciting ever occurred. Could it have something to do with not being able to see stuff rain down when you're on the top floor? Or perhaps I feel we're all being strong-armed by management and I've finally had enough.

Ouch

I bit my lip really hard yesterday and now it's swollen and infected. Great, I said in italics.

No comments: